For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
- 2 Timothy 1:7
Children's Ministry Reopening
We’re excited to announce that we’re going to begin re-starting our children’s ministry (for ages 2-12) at 10:30am on Sundays.
Our first Sunday back will be Sunday, July 5th
While we have always put enormous effort into health and safety, we are implementing some new policies in accordance with many of the best practices from the CDC, WHO, and local health authorities.
Overview of Health Safety Policies
1) Pre-service screenings. No one with a temperature of 100+ or any cold symptoms can be admitted to church. We will have take-home bags for any kids we need to turn away.
2) Smaller classes. Classes limited to ‘pods’ of 10 kids each – each pod will be kept 6+ feet from every other group of kids.
3) Extra sanitization. In addition to our usual cleaning, we will be sanitizing after every class. Kids will be asked to sanitize their hands a few times during service.
4) Teacher protection. We are limiting our teachers and helpers to those under the age of 65 and in good health.
A note on masks: The current guidance from health authorities is mixed on the use of masks in children. The American Academy of Pediatrics is currently strongly recommending that children physically return to school, but at the time of this writing, the Spokane Health Department is still requiring that masks be worn all the time when you can’t keep a 6-foot social distance. As you know, this is wildly impractical for children: largely because masks that are worn improperly don’t do any good at all. We will, of course, support you if you’d like your child to wear a mask, but we will not be requiring it. The good news is that children appear to be largely safe from the most serious side effects Covid-19 (only 3 deaths under the age of 18 in the USA, and 0 deaths under the age of 50 in Spokane County). Of course, kids can bring any cold or flu home to others that are more vulnerable – so if you’re concerned about this possibility, we encourage you to continue to take advantage of our live-stream for services.
We’re excited to start serving kids again - please reach out to ask any questions you have! We’re praying for you and your family!
In answer to prayer, Governor Inslee has officially relaxed restrictions on places of worship.
We have updated our plan to bring it in line with the new guidance. We encourage you to read the whole document, but please note these key elements before attending a service at SBC:
- Building occupancy limited to 25%
(we are blessed with 3 buildings at SBC, so we can accommodate 150 guests - but please note that this means you may need to sit in a different building than the main sanctuary.)
- We are requiring everyone to wear a cloth face mask
(until they are seated 6+ feet away from others)
- Children's Ministry is currently limited to just ages 2-5 and Special Needs
(We will expand this as soon as we are able)
- We are taking everyone's temperature as they enter the building.
No one with a temp of 100+ or any signs of illness can be admitted.
- We are encouraging anyone medically vulnerable to continue to Livestream until Phase 4 of Washington's reopening.
Please see our plan for all the other details, and please continue to pray. Thank you!